Scrambled tofu is a fantastic dish, so here we want to give it the recognition it deserves. It is super quick to make, uses only cheap ingredients, and is as healthy as it is tasty. The dish is protein-packed, low cholesterol, and low calories, so it is a fantastic addition to your breakfast. Most importantly, this scrambled tofu will make you find a worthy substitute for scrambled eggs, which also my non-vegan friends got to appreciate.
Ingredients for Making Scrambled Tofu
- (Extra) Firm natural tofu
- Vegan butter substitute
- Nutritional yeast
- Kala Namak salt
- Garlic powder
What kind of Tofu to use:
When choosing your tofu, opt for a naturally flavoured, firm tofu. You want the consistency to resemble an egg as closely as possible after being scrambled. I find that extra-firm tofu is too firm for that purpose, while silk tofu does not have enough bite for my liking.
Spices to use for Scrambled Tofu:
With some trial and error, I found a combination of spices to work particularly well for imitating egg flavour. Firstly, turmeric gives the scrambled tofu a yolky colour. Black pepper, garlic powder, and a tiny dash of cumin help to bring the desired flavour. The star ingredient of scrambled tofu is Kala Namak salt. Kala Namak salt, also known as Himalayan black salt, is a sulfur-rich salt carrying a distinct egg flavour. While the smell seems off-putting at first, a tiny sprinkle of this salt will bring your scrambled tofu to the next level. I would definitely try to get my hands on some of that salt, it is a great spice to have around as a vegan. Lastly, I like to include nutritional yeast for some extra depth of flavour.
Scrambled Tofu Recipe:
When having all your ingredients together, the preparation of scrambled tofu is easy and quick. Firstly, check how moist the tofu is. Depending on your tofu, you may want to press out some of its liquid. You can do this by placing the tofu between two cutting boards and applying pressure. I like some liquid to remain in the tofu as it will otherwise turn out too dry, so I would encourage you to experiment with what works best with the tofu you are using.
Take your pan, and heat some vegan butter or olive oil in your pan. I like the flavour of vegan butter for this dish. Crumble your tofu into the plan, and add your spices. Stir well so the tofu coats evenly with the spices, and gently heat the tofu for a couple of minutes. Check for seasoning, and you are ready to go.
Let me know how you liked this dish! If you look for further inspiration for an amazing vegan breakfast feast, I can recommend also trying these homemade baked beans, to assemble a quick and tasty, protein-packed English-breakfast-inspired plate!
Looking for more Breakfast Inspirations?
- Mushroom congee is a classic Asian breakfast, it’s super comforting, and will give you a delightful start to your day!
- My personal favourite is Hummus Fatteh! This Levantine breakfast dish is as delicious as it is protein-packed, and will give you a nice and steady energy level for the day!
- This sweet rice porridge is a fantastic healthy recipe to break up the routine.
- Try this delicious avocado toast with olive oil, za’atar and pickles!
- This sweet rice porridge makes a delicious breakfast as well.
The best scrambled tofuCourse: BreakfastCuisine: VeganDifficulty: Easy
200g firm tofu
1 pinch of Kala Namak Salt
1 tsp of turmeric
1 pinch of cumin
1 pinch of garlic powder
1 pinch of salt & pepper
2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
20g vegan butter/olive oil
- You want to check how moist your tofu is. Depending on your tofu, you may want to press out some of its liquid. You can do this by placing the tofu between two cutting boards and applying pressure.
- Melt your vegan butter in your pan. Crumble the tofu into the pan, and allow it to coat evenly with the melted butter.
- Add your spices, and fry for a couple of minutes. Stir well so the tofu is evenly coated.
- Check for seasoning, and you are good to plate the scramble, and enjoy!