Bruschetta is just a fantastic vegan antipasto with so many tasty variations. While I already shared a recipe for amazing seasonal porcini bruschetta, other variations can be enjoyed throughout the year. One of them is bruschetta al pomodoro. This dish features tomato as its key ingredient and often features basil, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic. Today, I am doing a fruiter variation using slices of regional apple, resulting in a fresh tomato apple bruschetta. It is a tasty spin on a classic combination, and it is still as easy, delicious and quick to make!
Ingredients for tomato apple bruschetta:
Again, the quality of your ingredients is super important for this dish. While different tomatoes can taste great for bruschetta, make sure you use ripe, fresh and flavourful ones.
Similar goes for the bread. I’d recommend going with your favourite bread. I like sourdough bread with a good crust, but today, I will use my trusted chestnut bread again. Furthermore, I like including some mild, fragrant onion for the bruschetta, fresh apples from the garden, and dried oregano.
How to make fresh tomato apple bruschetta:
Give your tomatoes a good wash, and pet them dry. Take a knife and cut out the white, firm section inside of the tomato. Next, chop the tomato into rough pieces. You can also dice them finely, but I enjoy some more texture. Finely dice your onion, and add it to the tomato. Dress the ingredients with olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Give them a quick mix.
Cut a slice of your bread, brush it with olive oil, and toast in your pan, oven or grill. Top each slice generously with the tomato mix and apple slices, and a final touch of olive oil.
This tomato apple bruschetta is best enjoyed nice and fresh! Let me know what you think in the comments!
Some more recipe inspirations:
- For some more bruschetta, check out this porcini bruschetta, it’s fantastic!
- Garlic Rosemary Beans with extra virgin olive oil make a fantastic antipasto too.
- Try these delicious roasted pepper crostini!
- Fantastic pasta aglio, olio e peperoncino won’t gets boring.
- Spaghetti alla puttanesca tastes so deliciously Mediterranean.
- This vegan lasagne is the ultimate comfort food!
Fresh Tomato Apple BruschettaCourse: Antipasti, Starter, AppetizersCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
4 juicy, fresh and fragrant tomatoes
4 slices of bread
1/2 mild red onion
15ml extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch salt
1 pinch pepper
Oregano to taste
- Give your tomatoes a good wash, and pet them dry. Take a knife and cut out the white, firm section inside of the tomato.
- Chop the tomato into rough pieces, and finely dice the onion.
- Add the ingredients to a bowl, and dress with olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Give them a quick mix.
- Cut a slice of your bread, brush it with olive oil, and toast in your pan or oven. Top it generously with the tomato mix and apple slices, a final touch of olive oil, and enjoy fresh!